Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Valentine’s Day Prayer

I read this prayer today and it really spoke to my heart. May we never forget that the only way we can love others is because God has first loved us with His agape love. God's agape love is the love that starts in the heart of God that He wants to put into our hearts. We think of love as an emotional feeling and God does give us emotions but ultimately true love is not a feeling rather, it is a determined act of will. This kind of love always results in determined acts of self-giving. The supreme measure of love is God's love for us. I thank You, Lord, for being the example of the supreme measure of love.

Romans 5:8--"But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ dies for us.

This verse tells us that when we were powerless and ungodly, Christ died for us. This is how God demonstrates His love to us. When we were God's enemies, He reconciled us to Himself through the death of Jesus Christ. We serve a God that loves us not because we deserve it, not because He has found any thing beautiful or desireable in us, but just because He is love. I praise the Lord for loving me so much that He made the ultimate sacrifice so that I could see how much He loved me. I also praise Him for never changing. Because God never changes His love never changes, therefore His love doesn't depend on anything or anyone. I am so thankful that God's love doesn't depend on how much we love Him. As you are reading this prayer remember how much God loves you and then I encourage you to thank Him for His love.



A Valentine’s Day Prayer

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” – I CORINTHIANS 13:4-7 NIV

"Lord,
Because love is patient…
Help me to be slow to judge, but quick to listen.
Hesitant to criticize, but eager to encourage,
remembering your endless patience with me.

Because love is kind…
Help my words to be gentle and my actions to be thoughtful. Remind me to smile and to say “Please” and “Thank You”
because those little things still mean so much.

Because love does not envy or boast, and it is not proud…
Help me have a heart that is humble and sees the good in others. May I celebrate and appreciate all that I have and all that I am, as well as doing the same for those around me.

Because love is not rude or self-seeking…
Help me to speak words that are easy on the ear and on the heart. When I’m tempted to get wrapped up in my own little world, remind me there’s a great big world out there full of needs and hurts.

Because love is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs…
Help me to forgive others as you have forgiven me. When I want to hold onto a grudge, gently help me release it so I can reach out with a hand of love instead.

Because love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth…
Help me stand up for what is right and good. May I defend the defenseless, and help the helpless. Show me how I can make a difference.

Because love always protects and always trusts…
Help me to be a refuge for those around me. When the world outside is harsh and cold, may my heart be a place of acceptance and warmth.

Finally, because love always perseveres…
Help my heart continually beat with love for You and others. Thank you for this day when we celebrate love, and for showing us what that word really means. Amen."--written by Holley Gerth


[1 Peter 1:22], "Love one another with a pure heart, fervently. Be earnest in your love. "

Father, I thank You for the incredible love that You have shown to us in Jesus Christ. You are the measure of love. In our hearts I know that we cannot love apart from You. Without You, we are self-seeking. We want others to love us and to please us. We are bent on our own ways and our own interests and our own good. Help us to show others your love by the way we show them we love them. Help us to pursue Your love. May we make your agape love our aim. Help us to learn how to love the way you do. I pray that you would empty us of ourselves and fill us with the Spirit of Christ, who is love.

Serving Our Lord Together,

Michelle Harrison

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Harrison that was a very nice post. You sure have a big heart in that small frame :)
May GOD bless and keep you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»