Saturday, January 21, 2006

"The Power Of God"

Today I have studied and meditated on "The Power of God" which is just one of Gods many attributes. In our Sunday School class, we are reading a book entitled, "The Attributes of God", written by A.W. Pink, and seeking to study each attribute so that we can learn more about who God is as a class. This study has been very beneficial to me because I have learned many wounderful truths about God that have drawn me closer to Him. I recommend it to any one that is seeking God. You can buy the book or read it for free on line at: http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Attributes/attributes.htm.

I have heard and read many things about God's power and every time I meditate on the power of God I learn something new and appreciate Him more. God's power is something to be marvelled. I praise the Lord for giving me a fresh new glimpse of His power today. It has produced more of a hunger and a deeper love for God than I have had in the past.

A.W. Pink says, "we cannot have a right conception of God unless we think of Him as all-powerful, as well as all-wise." This statement is so true. We cannot even begin to understand who God is or even trust Him enless we see Him as all-powerful and all-wise.

"The power of God is that ability and strength whereby He can bring to pass whatsoever He pleases, whatsoever His infinite wisdom may direct, and whatsoever the infinite purity of His will may resolve. . . . As holiness is the beauty of all God’s attributes, so power is that which gives life and action to all the perfections of the Divine nature. How vain would be the eternal counsels, if power did not step in to execute them. Without power His mercy would be but feeble pity, His promises an empty sound, His threatenings a mere scarecrow. God’s power is like Himself: infinite, eternal, incomprehensible; it can neither be checked, restrained, nor frustrated by the creature. (S. Charnock)."

Psalm 147:5--"Great is our Lord, and and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite."

This is very encouraging and comforting to me because if we believe that God is all-knowing and all-powerful then we can trust that He will take care of us. If we believe these truths about Gods attributes we can rest in His presence in the midst of any storm. If we but believe and have faith in Gods power we can receive His strength when we are weak.

How many times have you been overwhelmed by a situation or even your current circumstances and you try fix to the problem(s) in your own strength?

I have done this many times. When we do this it causes us to become very weak spiritually. Sometimes we only turn to God when we realize there is nothing else we can do in our own strength. When if we had of turned to God in the first place, we could of had His strength to carry us through our trial and it may not of lasted as long. We must pray and ask God for deliverance and then wait on Him to answer our prayers. Many times after praying about something we become impatient and try to take things into our own hands because we feel God is taking to long to answer our prayer. If we truely believe God is all-powerful and all-knowing and all-wise we would be patient and wait on Him. We need to remember that God knows us better an we know ourselves and he knows exactly what we need and when we need it.

When will we realize that God does not work on our time table? If we would just trust God, pray and be patient God would bless us with His strength to over come any struggle or trial we may face. If we wait upon the Lord He promises He will renew our strength when we become weak.

Isaiah 40:[28-31]--"Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youth shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings as eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint."

We have to be reminded of Gods power daily through His word, so that we never cease to glorify His name. I praise the Lord for gently reminding me of who He is when I allow satan to destract me with my problems instead of focusing on Him. I also praise Him for the grace, mercy and love that flows from His heart into my life. My prayer is that no matter what is going on around us we may not be moved because we are trusting in our all-powerful and all-wise God.

Serving Our Lord Together,
Michelle Harrison

1 comment:

Heather Livingston said...

Michelle,
It is amazing how God works! I hadn't even read this post when we discussed letting go and letting God have control. Many times I struggle with 'fixing' my circumstances or the circumstances of those around me. 'Casting my cares on the Lord' has too often been a last resort. I must loose all holds on this life of mine and just let Him lead me where He sees fit. He has proven to be faithful and I know that He has the power to do the impossible. I am learning as it says in 2 Corinthians 12:9,
"And he said unto me, 'My grace is sufficient for thee:for my strength is made perfect in weakness.' Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

He can do more by His eternal power than I ever could in my human weakness. May His power rest on all of our lives as we realize that His grace is sufficient.

Good stuff!

Love in Christ,
Heather