Wednesday, October 04, 2006

"Am I Glorifying God on Earth in the Work He has Given Me to Do?"

 
"Am I Glorifying God on Earth in the Work He has Given Me to Do?" 
 
 
John 17:4--"I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given me to do."
 
  
 What Christ says in this verse has greatly penetrated my heart. It has caused me to ask myself some heart probing questions about my life concerning the work God has called me to do. Because of this verse I have been taking inventory and reevaluating my priorities according to God's priorities for my life. This helps me to recognize whether or not my priorities are aligned with Gods or whether they need to be adjusted so that I am fulfilling and obeying His priorities for my life. In the current stage of life that He has put me there are many things that can distract me from obeying God's word and His will for my life, Therefore I must be saturating myself in His word and bathing myself in prayer so that I do not loose focus on what His priorities are for my life. 
 
 When I am meditating on God's word and spending time in prayer cultivating my relationship with God my heart and mind will be fixed on Him. When my heart and mind are fixed on God then He will give me the strength to keep my focus on Him and the path of priorities He has given to me in His word that I may glorify Him by finishing the work He has given me to do. When my focus is on God it is an indication that I am trusting His perfect will for my life. When my mind is fixed on Him He has promised me His perfect peace in the midst of my circumstances.  
 
  Isaiah 26:[3-4]--"You will keep Him in perfect peace, Whose mind is is stayed on You, Because He trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for in YAH, the Lord is everlasting strength."
 
If I am needing wisdom to know God's will for my life, whether for my priorities, how to train my children, all decisions whether big or small, He has promised to give me the wisdom I need if I but pray and ask Him for it.
 
James 1:5--"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to Him." 
 
Is there anything in your life that you are having difficulty in knowing what to do? Are you facing difficulty in making the right decision? Pray and ask God for wisdom and He will give it to you as He has promised. What are the goals in your life? Is your Goal in life to glorify God or self? Are we fulfilling God's priorities for our lives so that when we stand before Him His words to us will be, "Well done thy good and faithful servant."?
 
At the end of my life my desire is to say as Christ did to God the Father,"I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given me to do."
 
Am I living my life in light of eternity and the eternal consequences of not living my life to glorify God?
 
"To have the right priorities a man's focus must not be on the head, but on the heart; not on himself, but on God; not on time but on eternity."--R Lessin
 
Lord, order my life and steps according to your priorities for my life. Help me to consistently walk with you so that I will have clarity and discernment in the decisions you have given me to make. Lord, in and of myself I cannot live a life that glorifies you so please live through me, love through me and breath through me. My desire is that you be glorified through me in the work you have called me to do. Give me the strength to keep my relationship with you my number one priority and give me a deep passion and longing to know you more.
 
Serving Our Lord Together,
Michelle Harrison
 
 
 
   

2 comments:

Jay Harrison said...

Great post & good thoughts!

Love,
-J

Heather Livingston said...

Michelle,

This too is my desire. I know God has brought me to a waiting period again. I don't know why, but I can hold on to His promise that He is going to complete the work He has started in me. The verses in Isaiah have been foundational in this stage of life. Thank you for sharing what God is teaching you about priorities. I love you! Keep sharing! The long journals are great!

Love in Christ,