Monday, August 07, 2006

"The Attributes and Character of Our Jehovah"



Psalm 23:[1-6]--"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever."

As I have been mediating on this Psalm, I have learned that David is describing some very rich truths about the Lords attributes and character. Which could have been so easily over looked if I had of just read through this Psalm very quickly. It has amazed me how much the Holy Spirit will reveal to me if I will meditate on God's word and seek to cultivate my relationship with God the Father.

I have found that there are at least seven times in scripture when the name Jehovah is connected with another word. Each of these names reveal some aspect of the nature and character of God. I am seeking to study these different names of God in depth to see how they correlate with Psalm 23. It is amazing to me how the Holy Spirit has given David the very words that express to us the names of God, which teach us about His attributes and character.

The Names of God that can be seen in this Psalm has encouraged me and given me a fresh glimpse of God's Glory. These names of God include:

1. Jehovah Rohi--which means, "The Lord Our Shepherd", I see this in Psalm 23:1a--"The Lord is my Shephered"

2. Jehovah Jireh--which means, "The Lord will Provide", I see this in Psalm 23:1b--"...I shall not want"

3. Jehovah Rapha--which means, "The Lord that Healeth", I see this in Psalm 23:3a--"He restores my soul"

4. Jehovah Shalom--which means, "The Lord our Peace", I see this in Psalm 23:3b--"He leads me in the paths of Righteousness"

5. Jehovah Tsidkenu--which means, "The Lord Our Righteousness", I see this in Psalm 23:3b--"He leads me in the paths of Righteousness"

6. Jehovah Shammah--which means, "The Lord is There", I see this in Psalm 23:4b--"I will fear no evil; for You are with me;"

7. Jehovah Nissi--which means, "The Lord Our Banner", I see this in Psalm 23:5a--"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies"

These names for God are found in other passages of scripture through out the Bible. In one of my last journals I studied Jehovah Rohi and now I am seeking to study Jehovah Jireh, which is found in the story of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis chapter 22. There are some absolutely wounderful truths about how God provided for His servant Abraham in this story, however, they will have to wait until my next journal......

I pray that these attributes of God reveal to you the very Character of our Jehovah. It has encouraged me and revealed to me how great and majestic our God is and how His attributes work together in complete balance with one another to reveal to us His very nature and holy character.

Serving Our Lord Together,
Michelle Harrison

No comments: